For 13 years, between 1997 and 2010, Anne Deniau was commissioned by Alexander McQueen to document his highly provocative and influential fashion shows. Her behind-the-scenes look at the late designer, who took his life in 2010, is compiled in Love Looks Not With The Eyes: Thirteen Years with Lee Alexander McQueen, a tome that contains over 400 images—some unpublished and others previously unseen—that capture the high drama, intensity and beauty behind the making of those shows. McQueen, whose creations transcend fashion into performance art and other genres, is a master of turning the medium of the runway show into presentations of haute theatre. Deniau, in the process of documenting 26 McQueen presentations, captured images which, too, transcend photography—matching the decadent and grand world created by hands of McQueen.
More Photography from Time
- Cannes 2013: Fashion Highlights from the 66th Annual Festival
- YSL Inspired: The Designer’s Colorful Career Reimagined
- Arts Briefing: A Preview of Frieze New York 2013
- The Big Apple Sketched: James Gulliver Hancock’s ‘All the Buildings in New York’
- Glamorous Gatsby Dazzles, Featuring Prada, Miu Miu, Tiffany & Brooks Brothers
- Pretty in Punk: Moda Operandi’s MET-Inspired Collection