Fashion’s latest fusion project has partnered Italian shoe designer Sergio Rossi with Chinese artist Peng Wei for a collection of eight boots made of rice paper. The colorful creations made their debut a few days ago at the designer’s Paris boutique in honor of Foire Internationale d’Art Contemporain, an annual contemporary art festival in the French capital. Fittingly, then, the shoes are more art than fashion—designed to be admired, and not worn—and take inspiration from traditional Chinese art forms (Wei is the daughter of artist Peng Xiancheng), such ink wash paintings.
More Photography from Time
- 5 Questions with Retailer Jeffrey Kalinsky
- Fashion Off the Runway: Celebrating Street Style Photography
- From Paris With Love: Haute Couture Fashion Week in 30 Pictures
- Justin Bieber’s Style Statements: The Good, The Bad, The Questionable
- Mad Men Finale: 1968’s Fashion Revolution
- Isabel Marant: H&M’s Latest Fashion Collaborator