From the mighty mitre to more whimsical sombreros, Pope Benedict has long adorned himself with headgear worthy of His Holiness. Some towered tall above him. Others enveloped his head. All served to showcase his status as the pontiff of the Roman Catholic church.
More Photography from Time
- YSL Inspired: The Designer’s Colorful Career Reimagined
- Arts Briefing: A Preview of Frieze New York 2013
- The Big Apple Sketched: James Gulliver Hancock’s ‘All the Buildings in New York’
- Glamorous Gatsby Dazzles, Featuring Prada, Miu Miu, Tiffany & Brooks Brothers
- Derby Style: The Best Hats at the 2013 Race
- Pretty in Punk: Moda Operandi’s MET-Inspired Collection