From the mighty mitre to more whimsical sombreros, Pope Benedict has long adorned himself with headgear worthy of His Holiness. Some towered tall above him. Others enveloped his head. All served to showcase his status as the pontiff of the Roman Catholic church.
More Photography from Time
- 5 Questions with Retailer Jeffrey Kalinsky
- Fashion Off the Runway: Celebrating Street Style Photography
- From Paris With Love: Haute Couture Fashion Week in 30 Pictures
- Mad Men Finale: 1968’s Fashion Revolution
- Isabel Marant: H&M’s Latest Fashion Collaborator
- Diamond Dogs: 50 Years of Terry O’Neill’s Stunning Images