For 13 years, between 1997 and 2010, Anne Deniau was commissioned by Alexander McQueen to document his highly provocative and influential fashion shows. Her behind-the-scenes look at the late designer, who took his life in 2010, is compiled in Love Looks Not With The Eyes: Thirteen Years with Lee Alexander McQueen, a tome that contains over 400 images—some unpublished and others previously unseen—that capture the high drama, intensity and beauty behind the making of those shows. McQueen, whose creations transcend fashion into performance art and other genres, is a master of turning the medium of the runway show into presentations of haute theatre. Deniau, in the process of documenting 26 McQueen presentations, captured images which, too, transcend photography—matching the decadent and grand world created by hands of McQueen.
More Photography from Time
- 5 Questions with Retailer Jeffrey Kalinsky
- Fashion Off the Runway: Celebrating Street Style Photography
- From Paris With Love: Haute Couture Fashion Week in 30 Pictures
- Mad Men Finale: 1968’s Fashion Revolution
- Isabel Marant: H&M’s Latest Fashion Collaborator
- Diamond Dogs: 50 Years of Terry O’Neill’s Stunning Images